Taking this class called Social Media Marketing by Professor Bill Belew has taught me a lot about different aspects of internet marketing, content marketing, viral strategies, etc. In my MBA in marketing, I’ve chosen this course very selectively and was glad that I did. Professor Belew explains how blogging a lot can be very beneficial.
I’ll cut to the chase and come to the 10 Lessons taught by Professor Belew:
1. Write what you are interested in: One of the most important aspects of blogging is to put in the right content. Content should be relevant to the industry and something that the writer is personally interested in. If a blogger writes something for the sake of making money but is not passionate about the subject on which he is writing, he will not be able to sustain writing the blog. He will lose interest and will quit sooner or later. For example, if I write about Finance just because a lot of people like reading about Finance, the people who will get in touch with me will be passionate about Finance and not like -minded people. Eventually, we will not be able to discuss a lot about the topic which will result in lost reader base.
2. Focus: In any chosen area of writing one must always stick to the niche. I started my blog off as a generic blog, beingrishi.com. I was planning to include everything that I liked and decided to post generally about News, Technology, Music, Movies and some inspiring thoughts. But after reading this book, I learnt that it is very important to blog on one specific topic and then I chose “Movie Reviews”. Focus has not only helped me in blogging. It is the way I look at everything now. It has helped me become a more productive person and the work that I do is of a higher quality than before. For example: when I write my code as a Software Engineer, I used to listen to music but this multi-tasking usually hampered my speed and quality. But when I focused on 1 thing at a time, I realized, how I enjoyed the music more and how my code started becoming more qualitative.
3. Blogs are King: The book explains reasons why we should blog. Here he explains how making money from blogs is a one of the most important reasons why we should do so(pages 43-44). he explains how blogging on each others’ websites and how hosting services have helped him make money personally. He says that it is the easiest ways to be found on the internet; for any kind of services that we may have. Blogging on any specific topic not only coaxes us to research more on the topic but also makes us more thoughtful about it. We see a lot of things in life and maybe focus on a couple of them. But only when we decide to blog on hem do we actually realize how much important that thing is to us? How significant is that topic? Does it affect our Life?
4. Name: In the initial few pages the professor has explained why naming the blog is very important. he says that we should always keep a pronounceable name. I gather from this that the blog name should be something that is easily readable in order to create brand recognition.
5. Obstacles: Like every task, blogging will have its own obstacles and this book explains the problems that a new blogger may face. In pages 30 to 35, the book tells us how getting a good cheap hosting service, a good website template and pronounceable name are few obstacles and key factors to a successful blog.
6. Great Content: I learnt from this book’s later pages that quality is an important factor when blogging is considered. Any content that we put out there gathers more quality readers and has the potential to be reproduced and cited in others’ posts. This also makes that blog show up in the top searches on Search Engines
7. Tips: Few key aspects that I learnt from the book are:
1. Collaborate and link to each other; use site linkages(page 67)
2. Become part of a network online
3. Get Feedback from quite a few people
8. Taglines are key to attract customers: A good tagline is characteristic of the blog. For most readers, this is the determinant of whether they will go ahead with reading the blog or not. Knowing this, succinct and smart taglines are very important to get the reader to click on the link and come to our website.
9. Categories: On page 38 of Chapter 6, the book tells us how important using categories is for Search Engine Optimization techniques. As a general rule, I try to keep my category name and Blog title around similar words. This increases the importance of these meta words even more.
10. Time: Last but not the least is Time. To become a good blogger, one of the best practices is to write at least 3-5 blogs every day. Page 49 explains the importance of giving more time and devotion to becoming a good blogger and although I have not been able to give it as much time to it yet, I am improving by the day.
Social Media Marketing and Blogging to be very specific has been one of the most important topics that I have come across in the last 5 years. Learning about it in the classroom setting in a focused manner was very important as it emphasized the importance even more. Significantly speaking, aspects of blogging such as time management, the motivation of earning while learning and quality before quantity are aspects that I believe have made me view things in a different angle.
My blog specifically has been optimized as per categories. I’ve implemented Search Engine Optimization and other important techniques that will teach some budding bloggers like me and be routed to Professor Bill Belew for further guidance on how to create amazing and rich content. I hope to see you in one of my blogs as I explore the exciting world of Social Media Marketing.
[easy_sign_up title=”Get Free Access to the Content Marketing Forum for Life”]