So, you have a new website now and you are geared up to add content to it. It is great! But, keep some patience. Here are 5 things that you must do before jumping to add content to your blog:
1. Right after the installation of the blogging software, you can see that the URLs will be made up of string numbers. It becomes difficult to remember them.
Also, they are not search engine friendly. So, you would have to change the Permalinks. Visit the Settings link from the dashboard and click on Permalinks. Modify them as per your choice.
2. The next step would be to create and add a Sitemap to your website. You can get automatically created sitemap of your blog via Google XML Sitemaps plugin.
3. How would people interested in your blog follow it? Set up valid RSS feed and add various social networking buttons such as Facebook, Twitter, Digg, etc.
You can also use widgets if you have accounts on a number of social networking websites.
4. Add important Plugins to the blog. To know more about what plugins you should prefer in the initial phases, read 5 important plug-ins your blog/ website needs.
5. Finally post the content. But remember that most of the people make blog, but only a few survive. The reason is consistency of the posts. It is thus essential to main the blog regularly.